• Make a shopping list before you go to the market and buy only the foods on your list.
• Select lean and white meats for their lower fat content instead of the high fat meats like certain cuts of red meat, bacon or sausage.
• All canned meats, like tuna, salmon, or chicken, should be canned in water, not oil.
• Always choose non-fat, partially skimmed and/or low-fat dairy products instead of whole milk products.
• Avoid foods high in saturated fats, like butter, whole milk products and fatty meats. Choose unsaturated fats, instead. Examples include: salt-free almonds, olive oil and avocado.
• Read the labels to learn what is in the foods you choose. Labels can be difficult to navigate. Take the time to learn how to read them and understand them, correctly.
• Most of your shopping cart should be filled with foods you can see in nature like quinoa, fruits, veggies, whole grains, legumes, healthy plant fats and lean meats, instead of processed & refined, factory-made foods.